Temporomandibular Joint Disorder Treatment By Specialists and Doctors
Do you feel any pain or soreness in front of ear, in jaw muscle teeth, cheek or temples? Does it hurt when you open your mouth wide for yawning? Do your jaws have pain and make enough loud noises to bother you? If your answer is ‘Yes’ for any of these questions, you might have temporomandibular disorder or TMJ. Read on to know more about TMJ.
What is TMJ?
Temporomandibular joint disorder is commonly referred as TMD or TMJ. It is the inflammation of temporomandibular joint which connects lower jaw to skull bone and allows you to yawn, talk and chew.
Symptoms of temporomandibular disorder:
- Pain in the face, neck or shoulders
- Headaches, earaches, dizziness, hearing problems and difficulty swallowing
- Occasional locking of the joint
- Continuous grinding of teeth
- Uncomfortable bite
Causes of TMJ:
- Jaw misalignment
- Teeth clenching and uneven bite
- Accidents may seriously dislocates the jaw resulting in TMJ
- Jaw trauma
- Any dental work like crowns, braces
Basic treatments for TMJ:
If you are diagnosed with TMJ, your dentist may recommend the basic treatments listed below. Most dentists agree that these TMJ treatments work best in combination. Some conservative treatments for TMJ include:
- When you consume soft food that does not require no or a little chewing like yogurt, cottage cheese, mashed potato, your jaw gets a good chance to rest and even heal quickly. You should consume hard crunchy foods that require your mouth to open wide to fit food.
- Some people find a routine moist heat, some exercises and ice packs helps TMJ symptoms. Start by smearing moist heat to side of your face or temple. This relaxes greatly the tight muscles causing spasms. Then perform a few simple stretching exercises.
- Take medicines! To alleviate swelling and pain, try some non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or aspirin.
- Corrective dental treatments (link to cosmetic dentistry tab)including using crowns, bridges or braces to balance the biting surfaces of the teeth, replacing missing teeth can be the best solution for treating TMJ.
- Mostly, splints or mouth guard appliances are required to reduce the causes of TMJ.
|Monday – Friday||09.00 AM – 06.00 PM|
|Phone||(909) 861 2811|
1111 S. Grand Avenue, Suite I,
Diamond Bar, CA 91765,
Ph: (909) 861 2811,
Fax: (909) 396 1532,
Other Dental Problems Treated at J B Dentistry
Abscessed Tooth Treatment Options for Children and Adults at Affordable Cost – Certain conditions in your mouth are quiet dangerous, if left untreated and one of the worst of worst is tooth abscess. In some cases, it is proven to be fatal.Read More
What Causes Bad Breath and How to Treat the Condition? – Uhh…Bad Breath! Bad breath otherwise known as halitosis is a sickening thing among most people. About 2.4% of adult population suffers from halitosis.Read More
Dental Cavity Treatment to Relieve Symptoms and Pain at Affordable Cost – Do you know dental cavities are a fine example of an incurable health problem? Cavity is nothing but a hole in the tooth caused by tooth decay.Read More
Dental Plaque/Tartar Prevention and Treatment – Have you ever experienced a fuzzy feeling on your pearl whites or bleeding or tender gums when you brush?Read More
Treatment for Dry Mouth Symptoms – Are you feeling thirsty all the times? Then it is a symptom of dry mouth. There are several negative repercussions of having a dry mouth, instead of simply being uncomfortable.Read More
Fluorosis Cure and Treatment Options for Adults and children at Affordable Cost – We will come across with many people having white or brown stains on their teeth. Many think those stains as dental disease but it is not. It is a dental condition that affects the enamel of the teeth but not the health or function of the teeth.Read More
Effective Treatment Options for Gingivitis Symptoms – Gingivitis may sound like a kind of holiday cookie. Sometimes, it is linked to sugar, but it is not a treat. It is a sneaky little monster that can compromise your oral health.Read More
Gum Disease Treatment Options and Cure at Affordable Cost – Do your gums bleed when brushing? Do they appear red or swollen? These are few of the most common signs and symptoms of gum disease.Read More
Maxillofacial Surgery Recovery, Its Recovery and Cost – Oral-Maxillofacial surgery is unique in obtaining a dual qualification in dentistry and medicine. It is often seen as bridge between dentistry and medicine and also an internationally recognized surgical specialty.Read More