Most of us fall prey to teeth clenching or grinding. It is a serious dental concern and happens during sleep. Moreover, many are not aware of it as they do while sleeping until they experience the symptoms of clenching jaw and pain or soreness in the neck upon waking. Occasional teeth grinding may not lead to any issues but doing it on regular basis can cause oral health problems. Here are some facts about teeth grinding and its effects.
What is Teeth Grinding?
A tooth grinding in medical terms called Bruxism is a disastrous habit described as repeated clenching of jaw which makes teeth to grind against each other. It can happen to both adults and children as well.
Causes of teeth grinding:
- Night time clenching of jaw most often occurs by anxiety or stress which can associate with sleep and lead to unconscious teeth grinding all night.
- Children who are hyperactive and dealing with allergies, missing and crooked tooth, endocrine disorders and improperly aligned teeth can also prompt to do teeth clenching during sleep.
- Sleep apnea is another common condition to experience clenching of jaw.
- Lack of important vitamins and minerals also make you to do teeth grinding.
How teeth grinding effects?
Nighttime or daytime grinding is an unfortunate habit that influences one’s health in multiple ways.
- Teeth clenching makes patients to get cavities. It wears down enamel and exposes dentin in the teeth.
- As teeth grinding keeps much force or pressure on teeth results in tooth fractures or tooth loss.
- Some of the patients develop TMJ disorders as it disturbs temporo-mandibular joints.
- Soreness and pain in the jaw along with headaches are the common impacts of teeth grinding.
Tips to teeth grinders:
- Wearing night guards can help you greatly to reduce the symptoms of dental damage due to teeth grinding.
- Reduce your consumption of eatables and avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Keep your lips sealed but make sure your teeth should touch only for swallowing or chewing.
- Reduce your anxiety and stress by relaxing and also relax your jaw muscles.
- Try to take warm water bath in order to get good night’s sleep that reduces teeth grinding chances.
Discuss all your concerns regarding teeth grinding with your dentist to decide appropriate and best treatment options to protect your healthy and beautiful smile.
|Monday – Friday||09.00 AM – 06.00 PM|
|Phone||(909) 861 2811|
1111 S. Grand Avenue, Suite I,
Diamond Bar, CA 91765,
Ph: (909) 861 2811,
Fax: (909) 396 1532,
Other Dental Problems Treated at J B Dentistry
Abscessed Tooth Treatment Options for Children and Adults at Affordable Cost – Certain conditions in your mouth are quiet dangerous, if left untreated and one of the worst of worst is tooth abscess. In some cases, it is proven to be fatal.Read More
What Causes Bad Breath and How to Treat the Condition? – Uhh…Bad Breath! Bad breath otherwise known as halitosis is a sickening thing among most people. About 2.4% of adult population suffers from halitosis.Read More
Dental Cavity Treatment to Relieve Symptoms and Pain at Affordable Cost – Do you know dental cavities are a fine example of an incurable health problem? Cavity is nothing but a hole in the tooth caused by tooth decay.Read More
Dental Plaque/Tartar Prevention and Treatment – Have you ever experienced a fuzzy feeling on your pearl whites or bleeding or tender gums when you brush?Read More
Treatment for Dry Mouth Symptoms – Are you feeling thirsty all the times? Then it is a symptom of dry mouth. There are several negative repercussions of having a dry mouth, instead of simply being uncomfortable.Read More
Fluorosis Cure and Treatment Options for Adults and children at Affordable Cost – We will come across with many people having white or brown stains on their teeth. Many think those stains as dental disease but it is not. It is a dental condition that affects the enamel of the teeth but not the health or function of the teeth.Read More
Effective Treatment Options for Gingivitis Symptoms – Gingivitis may sound like a kind of holiday cookie. Sometimes, it is linked to sugar, but it is not a treat. It is a sneaky little monster that can compromise your oral health.Read More
Gum Disease Treatment Options and Cure at Affordable Cost – Do your gums bleed when brushing? Do they appear red or swollen? These are few of the most common signs and symptoms of gum disease.Read More
Maxillofacial Surgery Recovery, Its Recovery and Cost – Oral-Maxillofacial surgery is unique in obtaining a dual qualification in dentistry and medicine. It is often seen as bridge between dentistry and medicine and also an internationally recognized surgical specialty.Read More